Sunday, November 12, 2006

Why it’s ok not to be an Aishwarya Rai

Has it ever happened to you that just when you’re in that mood of being fussy and at your worst self God just slaps you in the face and tells you to get out of it!. Well I was in for a wake up call myself.

Woke up this morning and looked at myself in the mirror and kept wondering for the umpteenth time…if only I were a Aishwarya Rai …or a Angelina Jolie..or…that is when I was interrupted with a loud Thud! As if someone had fallen down. I rushed to the kitchen to find my roommate lying face down on the ground…she was struggling to get up. I helped her up and she thanked me.

That’s when I felt the slap of God…because my roommate is handicapped she works in a big company and she earns well …everything is great in her life or she always says so. While I complained about petty things like my looks or that fat I never seemed to lose, I often seem to forget that God has been bountiful in my case. After that slap that I so deeply felt I hoped that I would not take anything for granted.

As I looked out of the window I saw my roommate walking….one painful step at a time, she had crutches to help her out. It would take her long to reach her office but she chooses to walk because she wants to prove she is no different than the rest of us…and maybe she is not, while she might be handicap physically many of us are handicaps too… mentally.

No comments: