Friday, November 10, 2006

Begging for more

“Amma …thaayee” well how many beggars have you heard that from lately? I was in for a rude shock at my small attempt at philanthropy. There was this old woman who looked as if she would fall off with fatigue if I did not save her, so with sympathy in my eyes and money in my hand I gave it to her hoping she would smile and leave. Well forget smiling the offended beggar threw the rupee to the ground and to further shock the already ‘shocked me’ she cursed me in her vernacular language (the meaning of which I don’t intend to know) and walked away.

Well what was I to do? I stood gaping at her as she walked away hunting for prospective donors (probably those with fuller pockets). I did pick up that one rupee on my way back to remind me that next time I go about feeling bad for beggars I need to go with a fuller pocket. Who knows who would ultimately feel like a beggar …..in this case I felt like one.

No comments: