Monday, January 1, 2007

Think again

Do you remember being a toddler? Do you remember the first thing you broke? The first lie you told? You may think that you don’t remember but its all there…lost in some part of our memory and it all comes alive when you take the time to cut your self off from the hectic schedule of your life and decide to spend a few moments reminiscing your past and that’s exactly what my friend did.

I didn’t realize that all those little things that you do like hiding something or whacking your kid brother or stealing fruits from your neighbors tree all becomes so etched in your memory that they linger on all your life.

I took this trip with my best friend. He was all excited to travel down this memory lane and the excitement grew as we were fast approaching destination. When we reached the place he momentarily forgot my presence and got lost in what he saw before his eyes..the same old place where he troubled his parents, the same tree which he climbed a hundred times, the same goose he chased around the garden, everything is the same..he told me with excitement in his eyes.

He went to each room, every lane every place that was so close to his heart. He led me to a chair and told me that years ago when he and his kid brother were playing he almost shot his kid brother and he wanted to find out if that mark was still on the chair and his joy found no bounds when he saw the same mark, the play bullet which should have actually hit his brother. Then he showed me the place he ate his food the place he and his granduncle played chess, the room their family slept in. The day went on exciting him with every step that he took.

I was in no way part of this memory that he cherished so much but I was equally fascinated because for those few hours he relived his childhood, he found all those small lost links in his life. I also learnt that as we all progress in life we feel that we have forgotten all those small moments in life all those trivial things which you might just oversee but no matter how young you are or old how old you are each moment of your life is a memory so if you think that you have forgotten the last time you might have lied to get away from something…think again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was a indeed a nice blog for it's true that we all do forget our childhood days.