Thursday, March 13, 2008

Fantasies of a middle class chokri

I look outside my window and see a huge building being constructed…its almost done now. The owner of it must be hell of a rich guy I thought…RICH, how that word pricks when you realize you dangle somewhere in between…you have just enough to not push you off to penury…

How would it be to spray Escada I wondered…to roam around in a chauffeured car…how would it be not to bargain at the thrift shops …to buy everything that you lay your eyes on…I laugh to myself ..the fantasies of a middle class …

I have an option though……..marry a damn rich guy and then waste away all his money…..no…….I say…. I am too self-righteous to do that …I pay for what I earn..but what do I earn? just enough to send some money home..buy myself a 200-300RS salwar.. and occasionally to gobble down McDonald’s…

I look at my boss……….he earns more than 1 crore ………..1 crore I say ………what luxuries you could buy with that! I wonder do people who are really poor actually wonder how it would be to be in my shoes………is it in our blood to always want more?

All the books I have read say I should be happy with what I have…. Then why am I not happy? What makes my stomach churn……….when I see that BMW pass by me?...... I know what my capacity is……….there would be no revolutionary breakthrough in my career that I would suddenly be paid in gold…………so how would I then feel how it is to be rich…

Would be really sad if I had to die with unfulfilled wishes…………coz I am sure I would haunt all the rich guys….

I let out a sigh……….as I drag myself into the bus ……..they have put up fountains in front of the building…

No comments: